Any piece of development, whether it is a mod or ROM, is an outcome of hard work and therefore we do not think it proper to declare a certain ROM good and others bad. It’s an open market and what suits your requirement most is best for you. In a world that is “so various, so beautiful and so new” (to quote Matthew Arnold), it is quite natural that people’s tastes differ. So, if you like a custom ROM, others might not think it good.
That’s the reason that instead of saying that a particular ROM is the best, we decided to include a number of good ROMs. Being associated with Android development for so long, I am well aware of the things users want while searching for a ROM for their phone. The biggest concern of the owners of a smartphone with an HD or Full HD display is the battery-life and next to it comes the speed, performance, stability and options for customization. And, these are the measures our selection of ROMs for the HTC One is based on.
Root Your HTC One First:
All Android devices come with Android system recovery but that cannot be used to install a custom ROM. Therefore, the first requirement to be able to install a 3rd party ROM, you need to root your device and install a custom recovery (CWM/TWRP) on it. Also, your HTC One should have unlocked bootloader. If you have not yet rooted your HTC One, you can do it now using our handy and detailed tutorial:
How to Install a Custom ROM on HTC One:
- Copy the ROM file in zip to your HTC One.
- Also copy the Google Apps zip package (if applicable) to your device.
- Make sure that your device has decent battery left on it. If not charge it first before proceeding.
- Turn off your device and boot it into HBOOT or Bootloader Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together until the screen turns up. Now use the Volume Down to navigate to the RECOVERY option and then press Power button to confirm.
- In recovery mode use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option or file.
- Go to “backup and restore” option and backup your current ROM.
- Return to main menu and “wipe data/factory reset”.
- Then “wipe cache partition”.
- Go to “advanced” option and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Go to “mounts and storage” and “format system”.
- Go back to main menu in recovery and select “install zip from sdcard>choose zip from sdcard”. Select the ROM file and instal it.
- Finally, select “reboot system now” from main menu in recovery.
- Wait till the device reboots, do the required steps in welcome setup screen. Done!
1. Android Revolution HD
Android Revolution HD is a very popular ROM that is available for a lot of Samsung, ASUS, Nexus and HTC devices. Well, I am unable to figure out the appropriateness of the word HD added it its name but I am pretty sure that this ROM is one of the best options for you if you wish to install a custom ROM on your HTC One.
The Android Revolution HD ROM is based on the latest Android 4.2.2 update for the HTC One that comes with some new features and improvements. Since it is based on HTC Sense 5 stock firmware, it lets you enjoy all the features of the phone without mixing any visual change. Mike has tweaked and optimized this ROM to extract most out of it powerful processor and best battery performance.
HTC’s Sense UI is one of the most beautiful user interfaces out there and if you have HTC One, I strongly recommend sticking to a ROM that has Sense and Android Revolution HD is definitely a deserving custom ROM. Give it a shot and you will love it!
2. TrickDroid ROM
Here is another deodexed and zipaligned Sense UI based ROM for the HTC One. TrickDroid is based off the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware for the device. It is similar to AndroidRevolution in many ways but it offers more tweaks and mods than the former. The very fact that the ROM is installed via Aroma installer indicates that it lets you choose from various options before it is flashed to your device. You can choose between stock and Tbalden kernels, different battery mods, auto brightness mod, for example.
TrickDroid is compatible with all models of the HTC One, except the Sprint variant. It supports multi-language and features a dedicated TrickDroid app that lets you customize various aspects of your device. Most of the bugs found in the stock HTC firmware do not pop up their face with this ROM installed on your phone. The ROM is pretty stable and yields excellent battery life.
Here is a list of some of the many features that TricDroid offers:
- Advanced Power Menu
- CM Brightness Mod
- Menu tweak in Settings
- Extended Camera with more options
- Extended Quick Settings (Hide/Show by clicking on the date in statusbar)
- Menu on Homescreen
- Newest BusyBox
- Removed bloatware
- Exchange Mail Mod
- SMS Screen On Mod
- Remove 3 dot menu
- Many other tweaks!