Having installed the transparent widget on your Galaxy S4, you can enjoy a cleaner homescreen that looks great. I have tested it on my Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 with stock rooted (Odexed) firmware and a couple of deodexed custom ROMs like Omega and WanamLite and it works great on both. It might also work with other variants of the device like GT-I9505 and other US and Canadian models.
The transparent mod of the Galaxy S4 AccuWeather Widget is available as a flashable zip and this also means that you must have a rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 with a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP installed on it. If you do not have a rooted S4 yet, we have very descriptive step-by-step tutorials for almost all models of the Galaxy S4.
How to Install Transparent S4 Widget
Here are the simple steps that you have to follow to install the transparent AccuWeather Widget on your Galaxy S4:
- Download the CWM flashable zip from the link above and copy the zip file to your phone’s internal or external SD card storage.
- Turn off your Galaxy S4 and boot it into recovery mode. Here is how to do it: press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time and wait till the “Samsung Galaxy S IV” logo blinks for 2 times. Then release the Power button while other 2 keys pressed. Wait till you see a green Android bot followed by the recovery menu. In recovery mode, Use the Volume Up/Down keys to scroll and Power button to select. If you have CWM recovery on your device, it’ll look like this:
- Important: The first thing that you should always do before involving in any such activity is to backup your current ROM using “backup and restore” option. So do to this go to this option and backup the ROM to external SD card.
- Return back and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return back to to the main menu, go to “advanced” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- The go back and select “install zip from sdcard> choose zip from sdcard” and select the “Transparent_Accuweather_S4_Droidviews.zip” file.
- Select “yes” to confirm the installation and wait till it is flashed.
- Now return to main menu and select “reboot system now”.