This is a custom ROM created by bajee11, an XDA member and developer. Vanilla RootBOX is one of the most popular Galaxy S3 custom ROMs and now you can flash it for your device. It fixes tons of errors that were present in the previous releases and you won’t experience any more random reboots. Here’s what you need to know before starting the updating process:
- this guide works exclusively with the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300. Don’t try to flash the ROM on any other Android devices.
- your SGS3 has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image. Without these requirements you won’t be able to flash the new custom ROM.
- Create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM using CWM Recovery or any other tool you wish to use. I’ve used CWM Recovery for my device.
- The ‘how-to’ guide contains a step that asks you to wipe data and factory reset the phone, which is why you might want to backup SMS, call logs and other similar data that is currently stored on your smartphone. Here are some tools to use: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Some of these apps will work only if you grant them root access.
- Note that the internal and external SD card won’t be deleted by the Vanilla RootBOX Jelly Bean install process.
- Sync your Gmail account with the Contacts and you won’t lose any important phone numbers or contacts data.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged so that it won’t power off while you’re flashing the new ROM files. This guide is for advanced users and you shouldn’t use it in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- We cannot be blamed in case you lose data files or you manage to brick the phone. That’s why you should always have a NANDROID backup stored on your phone, so that you will be able to use in case something goes wrong and your device doesn’t boot.
How to install Vanilla RootBOX Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the custom ROM from HERE. Save the file on your computer and don’t extract its contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 from HERE. This file is required if you want to install all Google applications. Note that without those you cannot fully experience the Jelly Bean OS.
- Connect your device to your computer. After that you should move both files to your Galaxy S3 internal SD card without extracting the zip contents.
- Disconnect the SGS3 from PC when all files are copied. Power off the phone now.
- Boot your Galaxy S3 into CWM Recovery mode by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power buttons. Release the buttons when the CWM Recovery mode loads.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ option and confirm that you want to create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This is the restore point that your device needs in case something goes wrong and it cannot boot with the RootBOX ROM.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Vanilla Rootbox ROM zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the new ROM has been flashed with success, you need to select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option once again. This time you need to flash the Gapps zip. Confirm.
- Get back to the main menu of the Recovery mode and select ‘reboot system now’. This should be done after both files are flashed successfully.
- Wait for Vanilla RootBox first boot process to complete. This shouldn’t take more than five minutes. Enter your Google Account and start testing the new ROM when the welcoming screen appears.
That’s it, you’ve managed to flash a brand new custom Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM on your Galaxy S3 I9300.
If the ROM doesn’t install at your first attempt, then you should repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure to apply all the steps that I have listed above.
Source : http://www.android.gs/