Note: If this tutorial worked for you (and it should work), please leave a comment below. Thanks.
The firmware is based on the Gingerbread platform, so don’t expect to receive the ICS or Jelly Bean touch. Anyway, we are talking about a custom ROM so your phone will be installed with a custom version of Gingerbread that has its own looks, features (that cannot be found in the default version of the Android system) and apps. As mentioned this software is optimized and customized meaning that if you update your Xperia Play with the same your phone will gain speed, the battery life will be improved, the RAM memory used in a better way and a lot more. Anyway, you have the Xperia NXT Gaming features list detailed below, so check the same. Also, if you want to learn more about this custom ROM, then go here (this is our source page).
Xperia NXT Gaming Custom ROM Firmware
- First, you need to have a rooted smartphone; if not go and root your Sony Xperia Play (you can choose a general root method or a guide suitable only with your handset).
- By rooting the warranty will get void; in case you are new to these types of operations, maybe it will be better to stop here.
- In case you will need the warranty back, then you can restore the same by downgrading to stock ROM; the, the root access will be revoked, the bootloader relocked and the factory restrictions re-installed.
- After gaining root access you need to install a custom recovery image, such as CWM recovery, on your Xperia Play. You will have to use the recovery image on the flashing process, so make sure you apply this step.
- The best will be to backup the Xperia Play data before starting the update operation. In order to succeed with this tutorial, a wipe will be required meaning that you will lose all of your personal info (text messages, call logs, market apps, contacts list and more included).
- If you have a rooted phone with CWM recovery installed, then you can also make a Nandroid backup for saving the current ROM; in case you don’t like the Xperia NXT Gaming firmware, then you will be able to easily restore the stock software.
- You will have to use a computer, your smartphone and its USB cord.
- On the computer and phone there shouldn’t be any security programs installed (deactivate the antivirus and Firewall protection).
- Enable the USB debugging option on your Play.
- Charge your handset if there is less than 60% power left; else you can skip this steps.
How to Update Sony Xperia Play with Xperia NXT Gaming Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file from here.
- Download the Phone apps package from here.
- Save both files on your computer; don’t extract them.
- Now, connect the Xperia Play with your computer; use its USB cable.
- Select the downloaded files and place them to the root of your SD card.
- Remove the USB cable and turn off your device.
- Reboot into recovery mode.
- First of all, use the recovery mode menu for selecting: “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache” (complete the backup before applying this step).
- Return to the previous menu by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Now, from recovery select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Also, after installing the update, you need to flash the Phone apps package; therefore re-do the above step for applying the same.
- In the end, you need to select “+++go back+++”, “reboot system now” and you are done.
- In case you notice issues or if something wrong is happening (for example you are stuck in a boot loop) you need to reboot into recovery once more and perform the following “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.