The tutorial will work only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9500. It is the Exynos 5 Octa (eight-core) CPU variant of Galaxy S4. Don’t use this guide with the I9505 model as you will brick it.
Your Windows computer should have the Samsung USB drivers installed on it.
- Try and backup all the data that’s currently stored on your device.
- Enable USB Debugging option from the Developer Options menu. If you can’t find this menu, then you should open Settings, then ‘About phone’ section, scroll down to ‘Build Number’ and tap this 7 times. You will be told that ‘now you’re a developer’ or something like that.
- Make sure that your computer doesn’t have any antivirus applications running in background. You’ll use the ODIN app to install this rooted firmware file and an antivirus app might consider ODIN to be malware. Note that it is a perfectly safe-to-use program.
- The battery power left level should be over 40% before starting the root process. This will prevent the device from switching off.
- Use this tutorial only if you’re an advanced user and you wish to test new rooted Android 4.2.2 releases on your Galaxy S4. Do not blame us in case you brick the phone or you lose any data files in the process.
- Read all the instructions listed below and make sure that you won’t skip any steps.
- Download the XXUAMC6 I9500 Rooted zip from HERE. Save the file on your PC and, when download is complete, extract its contents. You will get a file that has the ‘.tar’ or ‘.tar.md5′ extension.
- Download Odin 1.85 from HERE. Extract its contents on your PC. NOTE: If Odin 1.85 fails to install the root, then you might want to try Odin 3.04 (here) or Odin 3.07 (here).
- Power off your Galaxy S4 device.
- Boot it into Download Mode by pressing and holding simultaneously Volume Down and Power buttons. When the screen powers ON you will need to press ‘Power’ once again for the Android Download Mode to appear. Get to the next step.
- Launch Odin exe on your PC.
- Now, connect your Galaxy S4 to your PC via USB data cable. Odin should say ‘added!!’ when the phone’s drivers have been successfully installed.
- Next, click the ‘PDA’ button in ODIN. Browse your PC contents for the I9500XXUAMC6_I9500OXAAMC6_ROOT_ODEX.tar.md5 file. Load it into ODIN. Don’t change any default settings of ODIN, just make sure that the ‘Re-partition’ option is disabled.
- Press the ‘START’ button when you’re ready for the installation. ODIN will take several minutes to complete the firmware flash process.
- When the install is complete you will see that the phone has restarted and ODIN displays the ‘Pass’ message. You can unplug the phone from PC now.
- The phone will reboot now and the last thing you need to do, is to check for the Superuser icon in the App drawer. If it appears, the root is now complete.